May 26, 2017
She completed grade 10 at the Guelph Collegiate Institute in 1917, at the age of 14. During 1918-1919, she attended Business College in Guelph. Her first job was as a stenographer and book-keeper at Harris Woollen Mills in Rockwood in 1924-25. From 1925 to 1929, she was stenographer and book-keeper with the Department of Agriculture in Milton.
In 1929, she enrolled in nursing school. She graduated from the Hamilton General School of Nursing and received her registration on July 15, 1932.
During 1932-37, she was employed as general duty nurse and dental assistant at Mountain Sanatorium in Hamilton. For four months in 1937, she worked as a surgical nurse at Herman Keifer Hospital in Detroit but returned to Canada to become an operating room nurse and assistant superintendent at Essex County Sanatorium in Windsor. From 1942-44, she was employed as first aid nurse by the Ford Motor Company in Windsor. In Windsor, she maintained a lovely apartment at 249 Pillette Rd., #11.
She gave up the security of this job and the comfortable lifestyle that went with it during World War II, when she enlisted in the Canadian forces in 1944, reporting for duty on June 15th…
[Click here to continue reading the full article on the Puslinch Historial Society’s website…]