December 14, 2017
On January 6th, Puslinch Council created a temporary ad-hoc committee with the goal of increasing our utilization of the Optimist Recreation Centre Ice Pad (the ORC Pad). The committee consists of: Councillor Ken Roth (Chair), Councillor Wayne Stokley, Kevin Johnson, Member of Recreation Committee.
By analyzing and evaluating past data related to revenue, expenses and user fees for the ORC pad we are hoping to:
- Find ways to increase non-prime time usage of the pad (M-F 9am to 5pm)
- Explore new opportunities for use of the ice pad including:
- options to extend the ice season
- finding ways to provide consistent ice quality on sunny/windy days. This will help provide consistent bookings and reduce refunds due to ice being unavailable
- exploring the feasibility of introducing new sporting activities
- Find new ways to promote the use of the facility to the public
- Decrease the net expense of running the ORC Pad
We need your help!As part of this process we are looking for your input. We’d like to hear your ideas for how we can better utilize this great resource we have in our community. No idea is too small or big, the more ideas we have to discuss, the better our chance of success becomes. Send us your ideas on how to use the ice pad, how to attract new users, what new sporting events could we host, what we should be charging for ice time, how we could extent the ice season and anything else you can think of.
Please send an email with your input to [email protected] before May 6, 2016.
Background InformationFor those of you who want to see some information on how the ORC Pad is currently operating, below you will find some basic facts about the facility that may help you come up with ideas to help us improve the facility.
ORC Pad Utilization:
Free Skate Times (last season):The township provides an average of about 27 hours per week of free ice time during the skating season.
- Senior Free Skate: Monday-Friday 10am – 11am
- Adult Free Skate: Monday-Friday 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Kids/Family Free Skate: Monday-Friday 3pm – 5pm
- Free Skate: Saturday & Sunday 2pm – 4pm
- Shinny: Sunday 5pm – 6pm
- 13-17 year olds: Average 8 participants per session
- Sticks & Pucks: Monday 5pm – 7pm
- 5-7 year olds: Average 8 participants per session
- 8-12 year olds: Average 7 participants per session
- Holiday Public Skating:
- December 26 Noon-4pm
- January 1 Noon-4pm
Revenue and Expenses:
Please note: Comments here or on our facebook page will not be forwarded to the appropriate parties. If you wish to comment or make suggestions please send an email with your input to [email protected] before May 6, 2016.