April 20, 2018
This year the Upper Grand ETFO Chess Tournament was held at the Puslinch Community Center on Thursday, April 5. In attendance were 153 chess players in grades one to eight from fourteen schools. Congratulations to Aberfoyle Public School for winning first and second place for Grade One! Here are the complete results:
Upper Grand ETFO Chess Tournament 2018 – Results By Top Three In Each Grade
- Grade One : 1) Aberfoyle 2) Aberfoyle 3) none
- Grade Two: 1) Eramosa 2) none 3) none
- Grade Three: 1) W C Winegard 2) W C Winegard 3) W C Winegard
- Grade Four: 1) Waverley 2) King George 3) Taylor Evans
- Grade Five: 1) Brisbane 2) John McCrae 3) John McCrae
- Grade Six: 1) Eramosa 2) Waverley 3) Waverley
- Grade Seven: 1) Arbour Vista 2) Arbour Vista 3) Westminster Woods
- Grade Eight: 1) Waverly Drive 2) Waverley Drive 3) John McCrae
- Primary Grades: William C. Winegard
- Junior Grades: Waverley Drive
- Intermediate Grades: Arbour Vista
Please note that tournament enrollment in the primary grades was low this year, resulting in no school-team names for some positions in grades one and two.
Thank you to Graham Fiddes, Chess Coach at Aberfoyle Public School for sharing these photos with us.
Serena Roopchansing, grade four player from Aberfoyle P.S. makes a move in round 3 of the chess tournament.
Grady Johnson, grade 1 player from Aberfoyle P.S. makes a move in round 4 of the chess tournament.
Tie Rendall, grade 6 player from Aberfoyle P.S. carefully considers his next move.
David Geng, grade 6 player from Aberfoyle P.S. in deep thought before next move.
Aberfoyle P.S. player Zain Patel looking for ways to advance his chess pieces.
Quinn Coolman, Grade 5 from Aberfoyle P.S. contemplates his next move.