August 8, 2020
There are a growing number of dog owners looking to making their own dog food. And that makes sense considering the commercial pet food industry is very loosely regulated and some brands even questionable.
While time consuming, making your own pet food insures no additives or preservatives in the food but that your pet’s favourite ingredients or those medicinal properties and antioxidant are never missed.
But DIY pet food isn’t just tossing a few veggies in a bowl. It’s striking the right balance of nutrients — proteins, minerals, fats. In fact, lack of attention to the details can result in nutrient deficient dogs with diet related health issues.
So, before you decide to make your own dog food, check with your veterinarian and do a little research into what your dog may need. Maybe homemade dog food is just a great way to supplement your dog’s kibble, like a treat.
Camera & Clementine is the blog site of a real dog lover. They recommend packaging the K9 Lamb Stew in individual containers in the fridge or go ahead and freeze it. Your dog will love you!
Homemade Lamb Stew for Dogs
Serve with: 1 Litre of fresh water
- 7.5 pounds of mixed lamb, for protein
- 1 litre water
- 1C peas [for Vitamin K1 and folic acid]
- 1C potatoes
- 1C carrots [rich in minerals and Vitamin A]
- 1C ground flax-seed [for Zinc, vitamin B and magnesium]
- 1C pearl barley [for fibre]
- 1C lentils [for protein and iron]
- 1C apple [ for natural sweetness, Vitamin C]
- 1/2C blueberries [for Vitamins C & E]
- 1 T dried nettle [aids kidney function]
- 1 T dried mint [good source of calcium and iron]
- 1 T kelp [rich in iodine good for fur and nails]
- 1 T turmeric [anti inflammatory]
- 1 T aniseed [aids digestion]
- 1 T fennel seeds [for copper, iron, calcium and potassium]
- 1 T cinnamon [regulates blood sugar levels and is anti fungal]
- 1 large bunch of parsley [rich in antioxidants and aids digestion and good breath]
- a dash of olive oil, hemp oil or flax-seed oil, for omegas
Valensbrae Sheep Farm – Pasture-raised Ontario lamb. Seasonal farm gate sales of lamb cuts sold as individual cuts or by the whole or half lamb. See our price list for details. In addition to Dorset & Shetland sheep, Valensbrae Farm has pot-bellied pigs, Red Sexlinks layers, honey bees and two llamas Ben & Jerry.
A family-run operation led by Ted Stark.
1527 Regional Road 97 | Puslinch | 905-659-7253 | [email protected]