The Upper Grand District School Boards as a webpage dedicated to providing information to parents during these trying times. Access the page by clicking HERE.
For the most up to date health information be sure to visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus
Below is a letter from Martha Rogers, the Director of Education & Secretary-Treasurer:
INFORMATION FOR UGDSB FAMILIES REGARDING COVID-19:
March 13, 2020
Dear UGDSB parents/guardians,
On March 12, 2020, the Provincial Government issued a Ministerial Order, which results in all publicly
funded schools in Ontario being closed from March 23 to April 5, 2020, in addition to the already
scheduled March Break. This is in response to the emergence of COVID-19 in Ontario. The intent of
this shutdown is to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the general population.
We understand there are many questions regarding this provincial order and the resulting school
closures. We have provided information below regarding the impact on our schools and we will
continue to provide updates to our school communities at www.ugdsb.ca/covid19.
In addition to schools being closed, the following are cancelled for the period of March 14 to
April 5, 2020 (note the inclusion of the March Break):
- Community Use of Schools, including programs scheduled to run over March Break.
- Before and After School Programs.
- Child Care Centres that operate in our schools or on board property.
- The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) scheduled for March 31, 2020.
There is currently no alternative date.
- All Continuing Education programs.
- Secondary school co-op placements.
Dual Credit programs are uncertain at this time as we are unsure as to the status of our
community college programs.
The board will be providing information as it becomes available for families related to learning
activities and resources for students during this period of school closures. This information will be
posted on the board’s website over the March Break.
We have received questions asking whether consideration has been given to extending the school
year. This decision will be made provincially and at this point the province has shared that it is too
early to make a decision on whether or not to extend the school year beyond June
The provincial government will continue to assess the impact on EQAO testing in Grades 3, 6 and 9
and the OSSLT.
The board is currently reviewing the status of all future field trips and large group gatherings
scheduled between now and the end of June in consideration of COVID-19. Information will be
provided when available to assist schools and their families in their planning.
The board will continue to monitor this situation throughout this time period and will continue to take
our direction from the WDG Public Health Unit and the Ministry of Education. Updates will be
provided as they become available.
The safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priority. Please continue to keep
yourselves informed on COVID-19. Take care of yourselves and your loved ones in the coming
weeks, and we look forward to welcoming students and staff back.
Director of Education & Secretary-Treasurer