April 19, 2019
Readers have been responding to the arson/fire posts on our Puslinch Today website and Facebook page asking for answers to their questions regarding these incidents, some even requesting a town hall meeting. We reached out to Mayor Dennis Lever to find out what could be done and he promptly connected us with the OPP Detachment Commander, who kindly called us and said that details of the investigation are not able to be released at this time. This is certainly understandable. He did share the following with us to post:
Police offer tips for owners of abandoned or vacant buildings:
- Secure unlocked structures
- Consider motion sensing cameras or “deer cameras”
- Request neighbours to watch your property and you watch theirs
- Make regular visits to view vacant property especially where an abandoned structure may be hidden from view
- Immediately report any suspicious vehicles, people or something that seems disturbed or unnatural on your property
- Report the existence of images from any currently installed cameras to police
You can also remain anonymous, by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or submit a tip on-line at www.csgw.tips. Crime Stoppers has increased the minimum reward to $1000 for information leading to an arrest of those person(s) responsible in the suspicious fire case.
Ontario Provincial Police
We at Puslinch Today have heard you and know how troubling this is to our community. We do urge you to take the above advice, stay calm, keep your eyes open and to please report anything you see as suspicious activity.