February 15, 2020
In view of the recent encounter with a coyote here in Puslinch we thought it prudent to share what you can do if you are approached by one showing aggression.
“As frightening as the thought of a coyote attack may be, do not attempt to harm or kill them should you have an encounter. Instead, help maintain their fear of humans through hazing. The Humane Society recommends being as “loud and large” as possible using the following methods (preparation required for some):
- Boldly face the coyote while yelling and waving your arms – do not get close!
- Use noisemakers such as whistles, air horns, bells, or soda cans filled with pennies
- Throw sticks, rocks, or whatever is handy near (not at) the coyote
- Arm yourself with pepper spray, bear repellant, a walking stick, or an umbrella
- If you are in the yard, turn the hose on the animal
(From iheartdogs.com – visit for more information)