The Mill was built in1859 by a Scottish immigrant named George McLean, being a friend of George Sleeman famed brewery master. The village of Aberfoyle was named after a small town below the Trossachs mountains, north of Glasgow, by another Scottsman named George MacFarlane. The Mill Originally functioned as a grist mill, powered by the pond situated at the back of the building. In 1867, the Mill won a gold medal, for its oatmeal at the World’s Fair in Paris. The Mill functioned well into the mid 1900’s.